Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Joy of Cooking!





Tim and I have fallen in love with cooking! When we first got married we lived off of rice-a-roni and pasta-roni (It was very pathetic--I know!). We are continually trying new recipes and/or making our own up. One recipe that I made up has become quite regular in our household. It's kind of spicey (but not too bad). Below you'll find the recipe...if you venture into making this meal please let me know how it turns out. I mainly posted this blog because my dad loves to cook and he finds joy in making dinners (or "nurturing the family" in his words) ...so I thought he would enjoy this blog. Love ya dad! Stay tuned for more recipes! :)


Creamy Bell Pepper Pasta


1 yellow onion (sliced)

1 red bell pepper (sliced)

1 green bell pepper (sliced)
4-5 cloves of garlic (minced)

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 pint heavy cream

2 cups parmesan-reggiano cheese (grated)

2 tablespoons olive oil

salt & pepper to taste (I usually add salt and pepper throughout the entire process)

In a stock pot begin to heat water. When water is boiling add desired pasta and cook. In a fairly large nonstick skillet heat olive oil. Add onions, bell peppers, salt pepper, red pepper flakes and saute until translucent. Add minced garlic and saute for another 5-7 minutes. After all ingredients have sauteed together add heavy cream (more salt and pepper). Bring heavy cream to simmer (3-4 minutes). Once it's began to simmer add grated parmesan cheese. Once cheese is melted, drain pasta and add to cream/cheese mixture and serve. This serves about 4 people and leftovers are never as good the second day.

We made this meal last night and I had it again for lunch today...when I reheated it it became very oily because the cream doesn't reheat well. We usually eat this with french bread that has been heated under the broiler with some butter or olive oil and garlic salt or rubbed garlic garlic cloves.

2 comments:

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Looks yummy, I will have to give it a try! Congrats on your Tri!!! That is a great accomplishment, I'm impressed.

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

We're going to have to try this recipe sometime! Thanks for sharing!