Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Just "running" around!

Due to a battery-less camera I have been unable to download pictures of this weekend's events. First, Teisha (Tim's little sister), Addy (Teisha's daughter), Tim, I, Gus & Tug drove down to Bryce Canyon this weekend. We had some difficulty getting down there due to our car overheating, and once we got into town (if you can call it a town--it's more like a half of a block of buildings) there were no restaurants or stores open to find something to eat. We walked down the street and finally this sweet lady that owned the local pizza shop offered to make us a pizza (even though their ovens were shut down for the night). So at 10:30pm we are eating greasy pizza--yumm! We then snuggled down in our cabins and rested for a whole 5 hours before we had to wake up for the half marathon. It was surprisingly cold down in Bryce and for the first 5 miles I was wearing a sweatshirt, but then it started to heat up. Once I was able to expel the extra bit of clothing I felt like new. I was feeling really good (despite being split up from Teisha--she had to wait in one of the porta-potty lines, so I kept going) until I hit mile 9. At this point, I was starting to feel my breakfast come up and I felt like crap. I kept telling myself that I only had a 5K left (but my mind knew otherwise). Despite the crappy feeling inside I kept running (but my pace slowed down quite a bit). Teisha caught up with me during the last half mile and we finished strong together. We finished in 2 hours and 14 minutes, which surprised us both because we were shooting for 2 and half hours. Soon after our cross of the finish line we jumped back into the Subaru and started our hellish ride home without air conditioning (Tim didn't allow us to turn the A/C on because he didnt' want the car to overheat again).

The rest of the weekend was shot because we didn't want to drive anywhere far due to our car's issues. We initially had some plans to meet up with some friends in Lake Powell, but alas we did not go. However, we had a fun weekend nonetheless. We went wakeboarding up at Echo Lake with the Aitken family (Teisha & Stokes) and we got to watch Aiden (Teisha's son) try wakeboarding for the first time. His first attempt was not a good one and it ruined the fun after that, but he was a good sport. On the other hand, Addy was awesome! For a 7 year old, that girl can rip! can I forget? Tim wakeboarded as well (although he denies that he touched such a contraption and made us all swear that they were skis). All in all it was fun on the boat. Then on Tuesday morning, Teish and I ran the Deseret Morning News 10K (unofficially--because we didn't register in time). Again, we finished stronger than we imagined with 6 miles in 56 minutes (averaging a little over 9 minutes/mile). All in all, we had a great weekend and if one thing came of it all, we've decided that we need a new car. We're not jumping on anything as of right now, but we're planning in the near future. As soon as I get the battery charged I will post some pictures of this weekend's events.


Ben said...

Hey, dont you know a picture is worth a thousand words? You sure could have saved a lot of typing.

Sabrina said...

Want a Jetta? It doesn't have A/C but doesn't overheat. Hee!

Tim&Kirst said...

heck no! I think we'll end up with the Hyundai Veracruz--so nice!

Amy & Wes said...

I am looking forward to the 1/2 marathon pics. I did not know you ran the 10K on the 24th, way to go!
Sorry about the car mis-haps, what a pain.

Anonymous said...

way to go Kirsty....I am very proud fo you....luv dad